PMP® Exam Questions - Chapter 3 Project Management Processes
- Validate Scope is part of what process group?
d. Monitoring and Controlling
- The Planning process group touches all ten of the key knowledge areas in that planning has to occur in each of these areas. Which of the following is not part of the planning process?
a. Creating the WBS
b. Develop the project management plan
c. Estimate activity durations
d. Identify stakeholders
- You are just initiating a project for your organization. Which of the following is a true statement regarding the Initiating process?
a. Risk is low but stakeholder influence is high
b. Staffing level is high while chance of success is low
c. Risk is high but the chances of success are also high
d. Stakeholder influence is high while costs are low
- There are many reasons for creating a lessons learned document in a project. All of the following represent reasons why you would create a lessons learned document with the exception of:
a. Creates an archive to advise future project teams about types of projects and resources they should avoid when initiating similar projects
b. Serves as a historical record for what worked and what did not work in your project so that future project teams can make use of the information
c. Used as a phase-end review tool so the team can implement incremental process improvement activities for the subsequent phases
d. Gives all project stakeholders a chance to input what issue resolution approaches were most effective for them on the project
- You are a project manager in an organization with a strong PMO. One of the newly hired project managers told you that he has been a PMP® since 1998. While perusing the PMI website looking for some standards documentation, you happen to do a lookup on this person and find out that they are not in the PMI repository of PMP®s in good standing. What do you do?
a. Call law enforcement and report the individual
b. Report the individual to PMI
c. Report the individual to his senior manager
d. Report the individual to the PMO
- Raw observations and measurements taking during the performance of project activities is defined by PMI as _____________________?
a. Work performance information
b. Work performance data
c. Work performance report
d. Work performance criteria
- Processes that provide the project team with insight into the health of the project and identifies any area requiring additional attention are performed in _______________.
d. Monitoring and Controlling
- What is a synonym for 'progressive elaboration’?
a. Cyclical planning
b. Quantified elaboration
c. PERT estimates
d. Rolling wave planning
- All the following happen in the Initiating process with the exception of:
a. Choose the project team
b. Determine stakeholders
c. Identify processes and standards
d. Create the project charter
- The team has completed all design work and is ready to start creating a product of the project. There are construction and IT elements in this project, and the project manager has leaned heavily on the subject matter experts in the organization for their technical expertise and know-how. You have determined that some of the work needs to be contracted to an external vendor who has the necessary expertise to deliver what is needed for the project. You are in the process of selecting a vendor. What process group are you in?
c. Monitoring and Controlling
- In the Monitoring and Controlling process group, one of the primary goals of that group is to monitor and control the project work. What is the second equally important, major goal of the monitoring and control process?
a. Quality control
b. Change control
c. Scope control and verification
d. Corrective action
- D – Monitoring and controlling is the only correct answer. PMBOK® Guide, 5th edition, p. 61
- D – Identify stakeholders is part of the Initiating process
- D – This is the only correct answer. PMBOK® Guide, 5th edition, p. 54
- A – Lessons learned are not used to torpedo resources you had issues with or steer you away from uncomfortable projects. They usually focus on performance and process improvement
- B – Report the individual to PMI. The PMP® credential is issued by PMI, not your organization. Answer A is a red herring. Answers C and D, while seemingly appropriate, miss the point: the credential comes from PMI
- B - This is the definition of work performance data. PMBOK® Guide, 5th edition p 59
- D - This identifies a monitoring and controlling process. PMBOK® Guide, 5th edition p 57
- D – Rolling wave planning is the correct answer. A and B are non-existent terms and PERT is used for schedule estimating
- A – Choosing the project team is an Executing group activity. PMBOK® Guide, 5th edition, p. 267
- D – Vendor identification and selection occurs in the Executing process group. PMBOK® Guide, 5th edition, p. 356
- B – Integrated Change Control is the only correct answer. PMBOK® Guide, 5th edition, p. 57
"PMP®","PMI®", "PMI-ACP®" and "PMBOK®" are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.